Saturday, February 23, 2008

Freedom

Monday is my last day as a full-time employee at The Evil Empire. Tuesday I will start doing some part-time work for a "stealth startup" -- which I of course can not talk about. But, this should still give me plenty of time and energy to get involved in other projects of my own.

Although plenty of projects instantly come flooding into my mind, the immediate question is which projects will deserve my attention and have the best potential to deliver real business value.

One potential project that has at least some business potential is that I am seriously considering getting deeper into the Semantic Web, especially since the technology and tools are beginning to mature and there is significant, real, long-term potential. At a minimum, I will start watching this field a bit more closely. I actually have been subscribed to a number of the relevant email lists, but not really paying close, deep attention for the past two and a half years. I may start a new blog dedicated to my efforts following Semantic Web developments. Whether this becomes a primary project for me or just a sideline remains to be seen.

One thing I do have to be careful about is to do a better job of firewalling my true business ventures from research-oriented projects which simply do not have short-term business profit potential.

In any case, it is good to be getting back to an entrepreneurial state of mind.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home