Five Questions to Always Ask on an Interview
Judi Perkins on Net-Temps reminds me of five questions that I need to remember if I ever go on an interview again:
- What are the priorities that will need to be addressed immediately in this position?
- How long was the previous person here? Why did they leave?
- Tell me about your management style. How do you bring out the best in your employees?
- What types of people tend to excel here?
- How long have you been here? Why do you stay?
Those are great questions to ask for any business relationship situation, including consulting, contracting, strategic partners, mergers and acquisitions, key vendor deals, etc. It may not always make sense to ask them explicitly, but to at least contemplate and validate them privately so that you can be sure that you are getting into a situation that is going to work for you.
Variations of these same questions also apply to entrepreneurs considering a product or service for a target market.