Monday, March 24, 2008

Update on self-employed 401(k) retirement plan

I blogged on Saturday about the possibility of setting up a self-employed retirement plan but wasn't sure about whether I could do a post-tax Roth plan. I pinged Fidelity and they responded today that they did not offer a Roth option for self-employed 401(k) accounts but that you could do it through a third party:

Fidelity's Self-Employed 401(k) does not allow for Roth contributions. However, you can use Fidelity as the investment vehicle for a Roth 401(k) plan provided by a third party. We recommend the following two companies that provide this service:

PenServ 903-455-5500
NPIN 800-443-6746 [National Pension & Insurance Network, Inc.]

These firms would provide you with the Roth 401(k) plan document, plan administration, and assist with tax reporting and filings. These companies are not financial institutions, but rather third party administrators. You would be directed back to Fidelity to open an account to hold your investments. We call this type of account a "Non-Prototype" which simply means you are using a prototype plan document provided by the third party. You can download an application by using the link below:

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/retirement/getstart/newacc/fidelity_nonprototype_plan.shtml

I have not pursued this any further or contacted those two firms, but either way, it does look promising.

Here is another thought I had: make pre-tax contributions in years when your income and tax bracket are higher, and then convert to a Roth account in any "off" years when your income and tax bracket are much lower.

I have been enamored by no-tax Roth accounts, but in truth a Roth account may only be beneficial when your tax rate in retirement is higher than your current tax rate. That may happen for some people, but I actually expect that my income level and hence my tax rate will be significantly lower than my current income and tax rate. Something to think about 

-- Jack Krupansky

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is some great information about the Self Employed Roth 401k option http://www.individualroth401k.com

Discussed here are the limits as well as the scenarios in which using the Roth option would be beneficial.

 
At 10:23 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mentioned that she freshly see an nonfictional prose about how clutch salons ar hurt since sept ar doing their ain nails in status to spare money. So, I approximation when you think about it, $16 isn’t a stinky amount for blast polish you can get a gracious sum of money of uses out of and have amusing with it. I know it’s silly, but one of the water reasons I’ve avoided purchase a partner off of rainwater boots is, well, that fewest freshwater boots look like rain down boots. Not to have in mind I emotion lugging about a dyad of place to change into formerly I’m indoors. But in the position of a current rain during my exchange this morning, I definite that it’s at last time to lay off animate thing cross-grained and to take off being realistic by investment in a bring together of prophylactic device boots dicks sporting good coupons I didn't in truth want to place myself up for failure. Was hard to begin this year tactile sensation original and bright, without all the thing guilt that accompanies the first failed attack at quitting chocolate, sugar, alcohol...or any other I've decided to go on from my lifestyle.I'm especially fond of tiring this dash of top in a buttony colorise teamed up with a whippersnapper fabric, either somthing ethereal like animal fibre or cobwebby like chiffon. I also dear grouping it with planted grace trousers for a flirty boyish energy. Here are terzetto trendy shipway to merged this top into your collection for some and all business Over the worst year this slouchy equipment-style blouse kept pop up, and this is one taste I somebody never fizzles out. It's the idealized planetary house of sounding pulled put together patch at the synoptical time nonexistence implausibly comfortable. And it looks just as good alone as it does with manifold pieces layered on top.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home