Contemplation of life off the grid
Although I personally have no desire to "drop off the gird", the current economic crisis implicitly raises it as a very real possibility. Obtaining satisfying and well-paying work (or even entrepreneurial opportunities) is no longer anything even remotely resembling a "slam dunk." Maybe life off the grid would not be such an unconscionable alternative.
But what would it mean to live off the grid, as a general proposition? Somehow, the primary constraint would be to dramatically limit expenses:
- Rent. Maybe free lodging. Or camping.
- Meals. Consider growing some own food.
- Health care. Only real option is that you need to be in great health.
- Entertainment. Need to entertain yourself. Use the library, including free Internet access. Free cultural events.
- Socializing. No longer quite so easy to socialize with those on the grid. Network with others off the grid.
- Keeping up. Including current events, work opportunities, and training opportunities. Once again, the library may be a best solution.
Thoreau tried to live off the grid, for awhile, but he had some land, a cabin, and a life he could go back to.
At this stage I am certainly not seriously contemplating going "off grid", but if May rolls around and I have no serious employment opportunities (contracting, full-time, part-time, or whatever), suddenly going at least partially off-grid will become a possibility to consider. I will still have significant cash (and stock??) resources at the end of May (when my current apartment lease is up), so I actually will not be "forced" to go completely off the grid, but maybe a partial off-grid lifestyle might be a possibility.
Some kind of semi-nomadic lifestyle may in fact be more appropriate for me.
Or, finding some locale where I can live really, really, really cheaply until the economy stabilizes at least a little.
In any case, I have my living expenses for the next three months covered and can "merrily" sit back and watch the economic storms swirl around me, as if I had not a care in the world. Or something like that.